Businesses Thrive in the APEG Region
Southern and Eastern Ohio is home to a strong manufacturing heritage with a capable labor surplus. Centrally located with excellent access to U.S. east coast, Midwest, and southern markets as well as Canadian markets, businesses thrive here.
- Twenty-five JobsOhio supported counties in southern, eastern and southeastern Ohio.
- Hundreds of available sites and buildings, including four SiteOhio Authenticated sites, nine featured inland properties and twelve sites on the Ohio River
- Ten of the twenty-five counties directly on the mighty Ohio River, providing alternative transportation options, Ohio River featured sites and other resources not easily found elsewhere.
- Nine supported growth industry sectors: Polymers & Plastics, Energy Production, Food Production, Automotive & Aerospace, Petrochemical, Hardwood Products Manufacturing, Metals Fabrication, Logistics and Consumer Products.
- Proven location: home to 33 Fortune 500 manufacturing, distribution and back office locations.
- Skilled and available workforce: one in 8 adults works in manufacturing.
- Efficient freight options: un-congested 4-lane highways, two interstates, Ohio River access, and two Class A railways support efficient transportation throughout the region.
- Market and supply chain access: 60 percent of the US population lives within 600 miles of Ohio.
- Water and Power: a robust electric grid to support industry; abundant water resources are available for manufacturing.
- Low cost of business:
- Ohio’s low-tax environment supports business growth.
- APEG’s inexpensive cost of living translates into affordable wages.
- The cheapest natural gas in the nation due to the presence of shale gas helps businesses maximize investments.